“Social entrepreneurs identify resources where people only see problems. They view the villagers as the solution, not the passive beneficiary. They begin with the assumption of competence and unleash resources in the communities they’re serving.” ~David Bornstein
We are pleased to announce that the SAU library is a recipient of the FRONTLINE/World Social Entrepreneurs Series grant to support a film screening and discussion on social entrepreneurship.
Here at St. Ambrose we place high value on community service and part of our mission is to “enable … students to develop intellectually, spiritually, ethically, socially, artistically and physically to enrich their own lives and the lives of others.” We are excited about the prospect of teaming up with FRONTLINE/World to provide quality programming on social entrepreneurialism for our campus family as well as members of the community at large and to foster an awareness of the connections that exist between our community and others. Please join us for the following events:
- The WiderNet Project of the University of Iowa: Improving Digital Communication for People in Developing Countries--
The WiderNet Project is a service program at the University of Iowa that works to improve digital communication in developing countries. Mr. Missen and his staff currently focus on the improvement of educational communication systems in Africa by providing faculty and students with access to computers, email, and the Internet. Mr. Missen will talk about what the WiderNet project has and will accomplish as well as a new social entrepreneurial program for young people in Africa to promote, install, and support eGranary. Audience members will be encouraged to ask questions and those interested may sign up as volunteers for or donate to the WiderNet project. Free and open to the public.
- Wednesday, October 29, 7:30 p.m., Main Ballroom, Rogalski Student Center, St. Ambrose University.
- Frontline/World Social Entrepreneurs Series Programming: Film Screening and Discussion --The St. Ambrose University (SAU) library will host a screening of the one hour FRONTLINE/World Social Entrepreneurs Series compilation film and follow the screening with a facilitated discussion by Professor Katy Strzepek. Professor Strzepek is co-director of Ambrose Women for Social Justice (AWSJ) and teaches women’s studies at SAU.Thursday, November 6, 7:00 p.m., Chapel Gathering Space, Christ the King Chapel, St. Ambrose University. Free and open to the public.
- Thursday, November 6, 7:00 p.m., Chapel Gathering Space, Christ the King Chapel, St. Ambrose University.
Questions? For more information, contact Leslie Ross at 563/333-6472 or email@example.com
Search This Site
- RT @instagram: Starting today, photos and videos you see on a hashtag page are sorted by the order they were posted. Learn more: https://t.… 2 days ago
- 4 things I’ve learned from international students - .@TheEAIE - eaie.org/blog/4-things-… cc .@GlobalSAU 2 days ago
- We have had enquiries on tickets for Yo Yo Ma's performance.... .@QCSymphony 2 days ago
- Chinua Achebe, Ben Okri & Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie are in @SAULib & now they invade The Simpsons :) okayafrica.com/news/the-simps… .@okayafrica 2 days ago
- Second Golden Egg has been found!! But are still looking for candy filled Easter eggs? Then come on down @SAULib http://t.co/RMsxiQfGel 3 days ago